Newport Beach Joint Pain Treatment
Comprehensive Care for Joint Conditions
Elbow, wrist, and joint pain are very common problems. They can occur due to many possible causes; however, joint pain is most commonly related to an injury or arthritis. In older individuals, multi-site joint pain is usually associated with osteoarthritis. Younger individuals who are overweight also suffer from multi-site joint pain.
What Are the Causes of Joint Pain?
Inflammation due to injury or arthritis is the most common cause of joint pain. The thick layer of tissue lining the joint becomes inflamed. This inflammation causes stiffness, warmth, and tenderness. Forms of arthritis that cause joint pain include osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, reactive arthritis, and psoriatic arthritis.
What conditions are associated with joint pain?
- Gout – Gout is caused by a build-up of uric acid in the bloodstream. This uric acid forms crystals in your joints, which lead to painful inflammation. Gout commonly affects the feet but can occur in any joint of the body. Pseudogout is a similar condition but involves the buildup of calcium crystals in the joint.
- Chondromalacia patellae – This painful condition is most commonly associated with kneecap damage.
- Hemarthrosis – This is the painful swelling of the knee associated with bleeding into the joint due to a buildup of blood in the joint space.
- Connective tissue disease – In conditions such as lupus or scleroderma, the immune system attacks healthy cells and connective tissue, causing severe chronic pain.
What Are Possible Complications From Untreated Joint Pain?
Failure to seek medical care may make complications worse. The complications of joint pain are often progressive and vary depending on the underlying cause of the pain. Possible complications include:
- Physical disability
- Joint deformity
- Loss of joint immobility
- Permanent instability
- Loss of sensation
How Is Joint Pain Treated?
Joint pain treatment depends on the cause of your pain. At the Regenerative Institute of Newport Beach, we offer a variety of treatment options.
Our treatment options include:
- Steroid injection – A steroid is injected into the affected joint space to reduce inflammation and swelling. This treatment may involve the removal of synovial fluid (from the joint) for analysis or to eliminate painful fluid buildup. Steroid injections may relieve chronic pain and improve function for up to three months.
- Hyaluronic acid injection – Hyaluronic acid can be injected to lubricate the joint space. This fluid is similar to synovial fluid of the joint. Patients report significant improvement of pain and mobility that lasts for more than four months after the injection.
- Bracing – A leg or knee brace may be used to apply a corrective force that maintains normal alignment for joint pain associated with arthritis or injury.
- Medications – Pain medications may be prescribed by Dr. Zaffarkhan to treat acute or chronic joint pain. These medications include non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), non-narcotic analgesics, and narcotic pain medicines.
Regenerative Institute of Newport Beach offers state-of-the-art surgical and non-surgical treatments for chronic pain and rehabilitation. Call us today at (949) 301-8683 to learn more.
Helping Good People Get Better
Individual Patient Care Plans
Friendly & Compassionate Staff
Medical Legal Guidance
Clear Doctor Patient Communication
On-Site Surgery Center